Friday, February 1, 2013

Our CSA box

It's waiting for me every Monday morning; our weekly CSA box full of yummy organic fruits and veggies.  This particular week I got two boxes because I ordered some extra items.  The more fruit I have, the more fruit my girls eat - to the point of not eating their dinner actually.  First world problems, I know.


Our CSA is Full Circle Farm in Carnation, WA.  They partner with small, organic farms from British Columbia Canada, Washington, Oregon, California, and even Mexico.  This week I got three different kinds of apples plus I bought a fourth, carrots, pears, broccoli, avocados, red bell peppers, green beans, tomatoes, and mushrooms.  I also bought some brussels sprouts, blueberries, and blood oranges.  At first I was skeptical about ordering produce from Mexico.  How fresh can it really be?  But it is definitely fresher than what I can buy at the grocery store.  And it's organic.  And it comes from a small farmer.  

It also means I can get avocados, tomatoes, and red bell peppers right now.  In January.  


Our fruit bowl for the week.  It started out Monday morning with 18 apples, 4 blood oranges, 4 pears, and 6 oz. of blueberries.  Right now it has 3 pears left in it.  


This is stamped on the outside of the box.  I didn't notice it at first. But it is so perfectly appropriate.  By buying from small organic farmers I am voting against conventional farming methods, against GMO's, and even against "conventional organic" farming.  


Are you a member of a CSA?  Why do you believe in it?



No comments:

Post a Comment