Friday, January 11, 2013

On My Stove

As often as I can when I am home in the winter I have a pot barely simmering on the stove.  Especially in January when the air is so dry I shock the cat as I pet her.  There are lots of different recipes you can find online of what to put in the pot to make your house smell lovely.  My favorite combination is orange peels, whole cloves, and a cinnamon stick.  



I recently saw another reason to do this: flu prevention.  Apparently the flu virus lives longer and is more likely to spread when the humidity is very low.  Source

Have a great day!
Maria

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size pot do you usually use? Do you just throw the peel and stuff in with water? Or...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a three quart saucepan but really whatever size you want works fine. I find I need to add more water every couple of hours with this size but I like how it fits on m stove.
      Yes, just throw everything in with the water. Don't use a lid you want the water to evaporate into the air.
      It's nothing very precise, just go with it. :) I have another "recipe" pinned that uses sliced lemon, rosemary, and vanilla.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, going to try it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you use as your heat source - the electric stove in the kitchen or do you have a wood/pellet stove? I like this idea. Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this on the electric stove in my kitchen. Growing up my parents always had a teapot with water in it on the wood stove. If I had a wood stove I would use that instead.

      Delete
  5. I tried this and like it very much. We are settling into a new apartment and having this simmering on the stove made the new place feel more like home. The wonderful scent was cozy and inviting. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

    ReplyDelete